[ydl-gen] Yellow Pup Linux

Stephen Harker sjh at adfa.edu.au
Sun Jan 17 07:59:09 JST 2010

> Glad to hear you're still enjoying an early iMac -- my rev.a has a
> zapped flyback transformer, but another friend has kept his running
> to this day.

Apart from running YDL 6.2 on my iBook G4, I am also running YDL 6.1
on my 7600/200 (an oldworld machine).

> Available memory is something else to look out for in a lean
> version, as we got by on less when the G3s were new. That first iMac
> can handle 384MB (a very decent baseline), but of course shipped
> with only 32MB. When I upped mine to 160MB, Photoshop, Pixels3D, and
> Unreal became very happy. Today's software would say "is that all?"

One nice thing about the 7600/7500/7300 was that you can get up to 1GB
in them (but it is very slow, due to the 50 Hz bus on my machine).  I
get good disk speed using an Initio Miles2 (a100u2w) card and booting
from a Seagate 36GB Cheetah (35 MB/sec) and using a USB2/FW card to
access larger external storage.  For most purposes I find the old
hardware fine, though it would not suffice for many people's uses.  It
is always good to hear of people still running old machines and
getting good use out of them.

Stephen Harker                           s.harker at adfa.edu.au
PEMS                http://sjharker.customer.netspace.net.au/
UNSW at ADFA