[ydl-gen] Boot error: USB hub

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 22 17:59:34 JST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Robert Spykerman wrote:

> 2010/1/22 angelo <angelo_da_re at alice.it>:
>
> > Hi Robert and thanks for your concern about my problem. The exact message
> > is: error at "! /etc/X11/Xmodmap". Thanks in advance, Angelo
>
> Hmm.. Now the other thing that would be interesting is to know where
> this mesage is being issued from, ie which script. I am guessing that
> an X startup script issues this but I am not sure.
>
> To me, it sounds like xmodmap is trying to parse /etc/X11/Xmodmap and
> failing. From what you've described (no change in hardware, previously
> working USB peripherals etc), in the setting of an improper shutdown,
> there is one highly likely explanation I can think of - your Xmodmap
> file must have someway been corrupted.
>
> Now unfortunately I do not know enough about X to say this with any
> degree of certainty nor can I tell you how exactly to fix it. You may
> well want to take a look at the Xmodmap file, if it's corrupt,
> generate a new Xmodmap config file and see if that works.
>
> That will mean understanding the format of the Xmodmap config file and
> that will mean looking I guess, ie man xmodmap.
>
> Please note, I could be completely wrong, I am still struggling to
> figure out how a linux distro is put together. Someone more well
> versed in this might be able to hep

You can check if the Xmodmap file is corrupted by the following
procedure:

	1.  Find out what RPM /etc/X11/Xmodmap is a part of:

	    gwiz% rpm -qf /etc/X11/Xmodmap
	    xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.9-9.fc11.x86_64

	2.  Now check the integrity of the xorg-x11-xinit RPM:

	    gwiz% rpm --verify xorg-x11-xinit
	    gwiz%

            No output is a good sign.  Check "man rpm" for an
	    explanation of any detected issues.

	3.  If the xorg-x11-xinit RPM is corrupted, you can
	    reinstall it as root using the command:

	    yum reinstall xorg-x11-xinit

Of course there could be other things also corrupted, or the
file system itself could be corrupted, perhaps causing something
else to erroneously reference the Xmodmap file, even if it isn't
corrupted itself.  Hence the importance of system backups.

					-Hope this helps

					-Bill