[ydl-gen] Progress with YDL on PS-3

Robert Spykerman robert.spykerman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 06:44:56 JST 2010

Op 30 jan 2010, om 05:36, heeft Robert Black <Robert.A.Black at noaa.gov>
het volgende geschreven:

Hi Robert

> Folks, I re-installed YDL from the .iso DVD after learning that there was a
> special installer for that - apparently, the YDL installer isn't good enough
> to determine the system type by itself. FTP now works - it didn't in the
> original ppc-64 bit install, as that was apparently only good for a Mac G5.
> Why these are so different is beyond me, & I really don't want to know.

I believe this may be due to a different kernel build/driver set up,
but I have not seen a mac G5 YDL so I can't say for sure ;)

> Results are as follows:
> I added extra repositories as per instructions on the message boards, &
> installed Java from those repositories instead of using IBM's .rpm files.
> That process put the Java app itself in /usr/local/sbin. I have no idea
> where the rest of the libraries went. I didn't have time for a thorough
> search. /opt is empty.

You could do a search, ie

find / -iname \*.so

to find the so files. There may be well a command associated with the
linker to actually list all linkable libraries on the library search
path but I don't know if it exists actually.

One other thing: ld  will typically link to libraries in directories
specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. I think I had to add /usr/local/lib to
this file  to my system as it did not have that directory in it by
default.

> The 1080P HDTV screen is now fully functional, although the text size is too
> small for me to read comfortably - I must sit too close to the TV for my
> comfort. Changing the screen resolution through the El7 utility does not
> work, but with some windows, I can increase the text size.

I prefer working with 720p on my system myself. I have never been able
to run 1080p because as you say, the text is way too small. Look at it
one way, there's less of a burden for the poor ppe to blt, and less
memory used ;)

Try ps3videomode -v to find something you like.

> I tried to install SeaMonkey from a .rpm file; that failed, claiming about
> 50 different library files are needed. Getting them will take a long time.

> USB jump drives that were partially useable before are totally useless now.
> YDL-6.2 on the PS-3 CANNOT read FAT-32 USB jump drives - or, they do not
> automount, and I don't know how to do it, because Unix assigns weird device
> names that are not obvious to the uninitiated. I will not reformat them, as
> I must also use them on Macs and PC's as well. Oddly, the GameOS reads them
> just fine.

I have actually not had any trouble with usb drives at all on YDL 6.2.
FAT-32s automount. But I admit, I do not use E17, so I don't know how
the file manager software there behaves. I believe the usb storage
devices will mount to somewhere in /media from memory - not near my
YDL so I can't check for definite.

> I will look for the .so java library to try to get FireFox Java working.
> Failing that, I'll install the ibm-java-ppc64-jre-6.0-7.0.ppc64.rpm , which
> loads into /opt.

I don't know about this one - if it's from one of the ps3 repositories
it should be ok, as likely someone has tested it out... but I have a
feeling from its name it may not. Our YDL userland is mainly 32 bit -
our libraries etc are mainly 32 bit. It is possible to run 64 bit
userland code but the pre-installed library base is small, so this is
only possible if the code does not expect to link to much. If it
expects a lot in the 64 bit userland (I know for example our X is 32
bit only) then it may not run.

> I have an HP 6280 all-in-one printer that I can't yet use. Finding its' IP
> on the ATT-UVERSE modem is not obvious, I don't believe it is Postscript
> compliant, & I have no ppd file for it anyway.
> I haven't tried to set up the wireless internet - before, it wouldn't accept
> the password.

I basically took the easy way out and wired my connection ;)

Robert Spykerman

--
chown -R us ./base