[ydl-gen] Progress with YDL on PS-3

Robert Black Robert.A.Black at noaa.gov
Sat Jan 30 03:36:25 JST 2010

Folks, I re-installed YDL from the .iso DVD after learning that there
was a special installer for that - apparently, the YDL installer isn't
good enough to determine the system type by itself. FTP now works - it
didn't in the original ppc-64 bit install, as that was apparently only
good for a Mac G5. Why these are so different is beyond me, & I really
don't want to know.

Results are as follows:

I added extra repositories as per instructions on the message boards,
& installed Java from those repositories instead of using IBM's .rpm
files. That process put the Java app itself in /usr/local/sbin. I have
no idea where the rest of the libraries went. I didn't have time for a
thorough search. /opt is empty.

The 1080P HDTV screen is now fully functional, although the text size
is too small for me to read comfortably - I must sit too close to the
TV for my comfort. Changing the screen resolution through the El7
utility does not work, but with some windows, I can increase the text
size.

I tried to install SeaMonkey from a .rpm file; that failed, claiming
about 50 different library files are needed. Getting them will take a
long time.

USB jump drives that were partially useable before are totally useless
now. YDL-6.2 on the PS-3 CANNOT read FAT-32 USB jump drives - or, they
do not automount, and I don't know how to do it, because Unix assigns
weird device names that are not obvious to the uninitiated. I will not
reformat them, as I must also use them on Macs and PC's as well.
Oddly, the GameOS reads them just fine.

I will look for the .so java library to try to get FireFox Java
working. Failing that, I'll install the ibm-java-ppc64-
jre-6.0-7.0.ppc64.rpm , which loads into /opt.

I have an HP 6280 all-in-one printer that I can't yet use. Finding
its' IP on the ATT-UVERSE modem is not obvious, I don't believe it is
Postscript compliant, & I have no ppd file for it anyway.

I haven't tried to set up the wireless internet - before, it wouldn't
accept the password.

Anybody else had similar troubles?

Robert A. Black

Research Meteorologist                  4301 Rickenbacker Cswy.
NOAA/AOML/HRD                            Miami, FL 33149-1026

Ph:   (305) 361-4314
FAX: (305) 361-4528 (NEW)

E-Mail: Robert.A.Black at noaa.gov
(Any opinions expressed are mine alone, not NOAA policy)