[ydl-gen] PS3 update problem

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Jul 9 04:25:29 JST 2010

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:24:07 -0400
Robert Black <Robert.A.Black at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Does anyone have the PS3 .PUP update file that the hacker named
> George Holtz used to overcome the problem Sony caused by eliminating
> the "Other OS" option?
>
> I cannot use an .exe file; I have a PPC Mac G4 at home. I need the
> actual file, otherwise, my YDL 6.2 installation on the PS3 that I
> spent an inordinate amount of time configuring will be inacessable
> before long.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert A. Black
>
> Research Meteorologist                  4301 Rickenbacker Cswy.
> NOAA/AOML/HRD                            Miami, FL 33149-1026
>
> Ph:   (305) 361-4314
> FAX: (305) 361-4528 (NEW)
>
> E-Mail: Robert.A.Black at noaa.gov
> (Any opinions expressed are mine alone, not NOAA policy)

Gee Robert,

I'm really sorry to learn that you got stuck on the PS3 problem.
Although I never got a PS3, and completed skipped the problem you are
enduring it appears that you are intent on struggling with it and Sony
a little further.

You may be able to acquire more information from the YDL Board
community (http://yellowdog-board.com/), as there are several people
there who are so incensed at the whole situation that they've organized
legal action against Sony.  I cannot promise you'll find what you are
looking for, but I can attest that you have lots of company.

As best I understand the crisis, a PS3/YDL user can keep the firmware
prior to 3.21 and continue to use their PS3 but be excluded from Sony
services or they move to the update and loose YDL.  Given your
profession, you may have overlooked that IBM decided last year to shut
down further work on the Cell and incorporate the experience compiled
from past efforts (with the Cell) into new Intel based hybrid chips
which they reported (back then) as appearing this year.  Although no
one will speak on this level of detail the i7 meets the description as
it is appearing as a Quad/Hexa-core chip.

It may be faster and less costly in time and money to just move onto i7
and linux variants like YDEL (an x86 based Linux) which support it.  You
are probably aware that Fixstars announced that YDL 6.2 is their
terminal version supporting the PowerPC.

Although PowerPC and Cell support will continue for some undefined
amount of time, without IBM effort behind such work, it is unlikely
that any effort is worth the time, unless it is a straight
academic project.

Just my view of course, but I thought a better strategy would be to
transfer what code you may have developed onto a more current system.
Or you could implement the advantage of the G4 processor by
reprogramming your code to implement the Vector Processor which
processes code at 128bits wide.  There are no other chips doing
anything remotely like that; even the new ones top out at 64 bits.

Just passing along a suggestion which could interest you.

All the best...