[ydl-gen] Won't Boot YDL with Power Mac G5 1.6 GHz machine

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Jul 27 22:11:18 JST 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:37:52 -0700
Keith <kilowattradio at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm having a problem booting any Yellow Dog Linux for PPC with my
> Power Mac PPC w 1.6 GHz processor. If I put in a Mac Disk and hold
> down the C on the keyboard Mac OS X PPC disks boots fine. If I put in
> any YDL DVD in the drive the YDL PPC DVD will not boot and the
> machine Boots Mac OS X Tiger from the HDD.
> I have also burned the YDL DVD at slowest speeds and on different DVD
> burners with the same result.
>
>  Anyone know what I should check or do to get YDL PPC DVD to boot?
> --
> Best Regards, Keith
> http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/

Keith, did you remember to partition your internal drive so that it is
formatted for Linux?  Also did you bother to test whether the SHA1SUM
for the .iso image of YDL 6.2 you downloaded matches the official
SHA1SUM value before you burned the DVD?

If you did not do this test and/or the SHA1SUM value do not match then
the .iso image of YDL you burned onto your DVD is incomplete and will
not have all the information it needs to properly install YDL onto your
system.

Please note it is not the speed of the burn that matters; but whether
the SHA1SUM values match.

In downloading the .iso it is best and most efficient to have DSL or
faster internet connections.  If your DSL speed is low the download of
the YDL .iso will take hours.  However, if you only have dial-up speeds
(56K modem or slower) the full download of YDL will require a week or
longer with one phone line dedicated to doing nothing but that download
without any disconnnects; of course any disturbance on such a line
means starting from scratch all over again.

All the best...