[ydl-gen] Sony sued over removal of Linux support from PS3

Sam Lummis sam.lummis at gmail.com
Sun May 9 19:54:52 JST 2010

I agree to an extent. However I understand from Sonys perspective their
console was not made as a cheap alternative for Cell programmers to use but
as a piece of consumer electronics which they sell at a loss in order to
make money off software and in my opinion this allows greater control over
their hardware opposed to a PC. I initially bought my launch PS3 instead of
an Xbox simply because it had the OtherOS functionality and I enjoy
programming and the Linux OS. Essentially I don't feel abused by Sony by the
update, they'd already taken the functionality out of the new PS3's and if I
you want to continue using the feature you can simply not update to the new
feature and you can continue using the old firmware along with a proxy to
access the PSN if you still use it.

My question about YDL's continued support is if a relatively easy softmod is
released at some point if they will exploit the new found hardware access?