[ydl-gen] Installation

Dale Swanson testdir at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 11:36:58 JST 2010

Luix Gaztañaga,

I reviewed the installation procedures and successfully installed YDL 5 on a spare Macintosh G4 tower with 1GB of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive. The GUI installation worked fine, and it booted into the Linux GUI after installation.

It may be that your system hardware is not up to the requirements of the Installation. According to "A Guide to Installing YELLOW DOG LINUX 5.0.2 for Apple PowerPC" [<ydl5.0.2_apple_guide.pdf>], the text installer "is used with systems whose graphics cards or monitors are not readily supported or systems with less than 200MB RAM." This may limit your GUI options after installation as well. One alternative would be to try a YDL Linux 4 release, though it may be less secure and robust.

If your hardware choices are limited Linux may still be a viable option, but it does require time and effort to perform usefully.  Even so, I have found the challenge worthwhile.

Regards,
Dale