[ydl-gen] Help with PPC Apple G5

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Wed Oct 27 01:36:34 JST 2010

Hey Billy, excuse me for failing to notice your status with our
Services.  It doesn't matter to me whether you use the g5 to play
pacman; it's an honor to assist you in any way possible.

To business:
First, there are at least several desktop interfaces available within
YDL and they structure their application menus slightly differently, at
least in my view.  The app you are using which you called Network
Settings is probably an interface application to the
system-config-network application which you actually need to use to
get the network system within YDL functional.

In the main menu of your desktop interface (it shouldn't matter whether
it is e17, gnome or something else.  I use XFCE.  In the main menu,
look for System then move to Network Device Control.  This is an
interface application which should show your eth0 device and it's
status (active or inactive).  You'll notice a third option Configure.
Click upon it.

A dialog box will appear which begins:

You are attempting to run "system-config-network"...

You must enter root password for the system - which is different
(should be) from the user password - in order to have access.

A dialog box appears called Network Configuration.  Right underneath
the New, Edit, Copy icons are tabs Device, Hardware, IPsec, DNS, Hosts.

Select Hardware, IPsec and the others and examine them in detail to
make sure that each of the options within each tab are appropriate for
your environment; meaning that every option is approved or sanctioned
and accurate.  IPsec would be important in some situations but not
others depending on the what your system is doing.  Linux is infinitely
defensible if you know what you are doing.

Firewall:
There are different philosophies regarding the appropriate approach. I
use a firewall on my router and a firewall operational within YDL.  I
also have active a firewall within OS X.  Call me nuts, but my system
doesn't fail.

You need to enforce what is recommended within the environment which
surrounds you.  Being rather focused on defending what is mine, I
choose to go the extra mile and avoid nasty problems.

If there are any changes to be made within a particular tab you will
notice that New, Edit etc. remains available or greys out (is
unavailable) according to the unique tab you are in.  You can change or
modify the Ethernet card by clicking upon Edit within the Hardware
tab.  In your situation, you will most likely have to add specific
hosts unique to your purposes.  You can add hosts for your card and YDL
to recognize under the Hosts tab, and click the New icon. Likewise to
create tunnels you need to use the IPsec tab and click the New icon.

Of course, if you really want to show off what a g5 is capable of
-- write code activating the Altivec processors which process code at
128bits. Windows and other current operating systems top out at 64!

Enough ideas from me, I'm looking to serve as a civilian within the IT
wing of the Services.  I hope I can get in; meanwhile I'll use a
popular common phrase directed to President Truman but modify it for you
and your comrades, as an encouragement against our enemies:

Give 'em Hell!!!