[ydl-gen] Current rev?

Robert Spykerman robert.spykerman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:31:00 JST 2011

2011/4/27 Matty Sarro <msarro at gmail.com>

> Hey everyone. I am new to YDL, so please be gentle. Tonight I am
> getting a 17" Powerbook G4 and I have a few questions.
> Does YDL 6.2 stack up against the current rev of RHEL (6?) Or is it
> closer to 5.5/5.6?
> Has anyone been able to get compiz fusion working?
>
> I'm assuming that since the hardware is rather limited compared to
> what we have to deal with in the x86 world, there is better out of the
> box support? Is this correct?
>
> I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
>
> -Matty

A ppc lappie? Nostalgia? :) Good on you! I did toy around with the idea of
buying some old cheap G5's but on ebay they're still not cheap enough to
consider buying just to toy around.

AFAIK, YDL is a RHEL 5.x recompile...

Re: eye candy. My YDL experience is somewhat limited to a PS3 and for a very
brief period, an old G4 mac with no GPU to speak off. I don't know if anyone
has ever got stuff like compiz running on a high end ppc with a GPU. My
recollection was that the device driver for video on that G4 was not quite
up to the OS X version (understandably, as presumably Apple knew more about
the underlying hardware).

Try here: they are mostly ps3 people though.

http://www.yellowdog-board.com

Oh, by the way, I found this (I'm more a debian person) but I really don't
know how good the GPU is supported

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Do let us know how you get on!

Robert