[ydl-gen] quid ps3 linux after 2012 - addendum

Jim Hart jhart at bates.edu
Wed Apr 27 23:59:26 JST 2011

I'd like to weigh in here, if I may. The Intel designs have one very
major drawback...heat. Which implies noise! I've been working off and on
for over a year to locate inexpensive parts to build the functional (but
hardly aesthetic) equivalent of my beloved G4 Cube. The fan-less CPU
cooler, alone, weighs nearly as much and is nearly as large as the Cube,
and cost $75 on e-Bay. The cost of the rest of the parts that I've found
is still over $1600, which I can 't afford. So, yes, cheap Intel-based
systems are available. But they aren't quiet, never mind silent. (I
recommend that anyone spends some time in a soundproof room and notice
what happens physically and emotionally. The constant noise in our world
causes stress and tension that we don't recognize because it's always
there.)

So, anything that will keep my Cube(s) going is welcome.

That said, the O.S. isn't the only or even, necessarily, the biggest
roadblock anymore. More and more applications aren't available for PPC.
The newest version of Neooffice, for example, is Intel only. Some (I
forget which one I ran across) won't even build from source on PPC. It's
one thing for the O.S. to be CPU dependent, but desktop applications?
What's with that?

End of rant. I just had to say something because of the cost argument.

Regards to all,

Jim Hart