[ydl-gen] quid ps3 linux after 2012 - addendum

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Thu Apr 28 03:31:15 JST 2011

Hi Jim,

To address your question, "What's with that?" it is easy to forget that
many project including NeoOffice are utilize volunteer programmers.
However, there is a "work-around" if you could get your G4 or other
PowerPC (assuming you have one) to work although YDL is fairly dated by
now, the office and other desktop applications within YDL 4 through YDL
6.2 should work rather well -- if you are willing to doing a little
reprogramming of the yum search engine which searches, collects and puts
together all dependencies for YDL applications.  Instructions on doing
that can be found here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017#p11364

You would have to switch from relying upon OS X based apps to utilizing
instead YDL; you could keep OS X around for running movies and stuff
related to visual stuff but overall I believe Apple has stopped
supporting OS X for any PowerPC systems.  However the software for YDL
remains available and if you've some programming skills then perhaps not
everything is lost.  So instead of NeoOffice which provides an interface
to OS X, within YDL you use OpenOffice which remains available.

What you already know and what I expressed earlier in this thread
remains true, the issue that many of us face is about expense/value
considerations is paramount.  The other issue to consider is time, not
everyone is willing to engage in the programming effort to do whatever
it takes to make the YDL distro remain useful, if not current.

All the best...