[ydl-gen] YDL for CUDA 6.3

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue May 31 01:30:16 JST 2011

Interesting link, thanks!

OSU probably got it through ydl.net; you can read about it here:
http://www.ydl.net/ydl_cuda/

Your question regarding "where the users hang out...?" is best seen
within context of IBM's decision to incorporate PowerPC/Cell based
strategies into multi-core development which integrated better with GPUs
such as Nvidia and other high performance systems.  Fixstars, in my
view, moved the YDL product line into a reasonable future with a great
deal of longevity for those interested in working and programming in
these areas of technology which utilize the full benefits of high-end
systems such as advanced research and systems, including super-clusters.

The options available for less determined individuals and institutions
have remained restricted especially as the ability to run Linux on Cell
based systems close to the consumer market (the PS3, Xbox, and Wii)
really doesn't exist.  In nearly ever case Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo
aggressively resist any Linux project successfully utilizing their
hardware. It is a different argument entirely whether Sony could have
avoided their current predicament or whether the strategies other
vendors pursued in the game market spared them Sony's fate.  In any
case, the result is the same as far as the use of Linux is concerned on
advanced hardware -- the "dead pool" appearance of what used to be "hot"
years ago is understandable, although regrettable in that context.

If there is any resurrection of the YDL community to what it was I'm
very sure that it's vibrancy will be different for the key factors which
helped drive excitement and curiosity within the consumer market such as
integrating Linux with powerful, yet cheap hardware, repackaged by
dynamic CEOs are not present or visible (publicly) as they used to be.

As for Linux with CUDA releases, Fixstars appears to have continued what
I believe Terra Soft Solutions did rather well -- streamlining Linux to
work with amazing hardware.  It takes time to observe, as a consumer,
what is going on in this very different, and uniquely narrow, market
especially as developments may tend to be and remain for some time,
outside the area of typical consumer interest.

As far as "trying CUDA out" there's a lot of work going on but it
appears to be centered in Asia primarily as the level of engineering
skill available has been reported to be higher.  Fortunately Google
Translate exists which can be helpful in translating current technical
documents discussing CUDA programming and other details from Japanese or
Chinese or Korean into English.  My own skills in those languages are
rather fundamental but strong enough to understand that Google Translate
though useful is very, very limited.  There's nothing like studying the
languages and related cultures directly as unlike English, they are more
ancient and highly contextual.