[ydl-gen] Noisy fan on Power G5 and YDL 6.2

Dimitar Georgievski mitkany at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 04:17:26 JST 2012

I tried sysctl -w kernel.powersave-nap = 1, and, unfortunately, it didn't
help.

The option with patching the kernel with an older version didn't seem worth
to me considering the potential to break other functionality of the kernel.

The problem was solved by installing Debian 6.0.6 (squeeze) for ppc64.  It
is not just that Debian resolved the fan issue , but GNOME desktop
environment works visibly better on Debian. With YDL 6.2 the transitions of
open windows, dragging them on the screen or closing them, were not smooth.

Too bad support for YDL was discontinued.  One of the reason I wanted to
try YDL was because of Y-HPC. It looks like this product was dropped as
well. Does any know what happened to it?

I've read that IBM and RedHat work together to bring Fedora, and by
extension RedHat, on PowerPPC architecture.  I just installed successfully
IBM Java 7 on my G5. Hopefully this collaboration could revive the interest
in YDL.

Thank you all for your help!

Dimitar