unable to mount cd (iBook 2 2001)

Jay C Shapka yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:08:52 -0700

Dave
Thanks for the advice. Problem solved!
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom"

I used cdrom as a mount point because it was already there, but I am
wondering if this is a bad idea?

Oh, and the problem is not completely solved; now the device won't
unmount.
"device busy"

Hell, I'm busy too, but if told to unmount...

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-newbie-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-newbie-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of mutex
Sent: April 13, 2002 6:07 PM
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: RE: unable to mount cd (iBook 2 2001)

/dev/scd0 is not in your fstab(file system table) which is where mount
is looking for information on how to deal with what you asked it to do.
Try specifying a mount point, quoteth the man page:

       This tells the kernel to attach the file system  found  on
       device  (which is of type type) at the directory dir.  The
       previous contents (if any)  and  owner  and  mode  of  dir
       become  invisible, and as long as this file system remains
       mounted, the pathname dir refers to the root of  the  file
       system on device.

learn man pages, they are your best friend.  I know they suck at first,
but after a while you learn how they work.  The -t flag isn't always
needed, but sometimes the kernel can't figure out what kind of
filesystem you want to mount.  If that doesn't work then something else
is borked... make sure the ide-scsi module is loaded into your kernel.
Or go check the kernel boot logs and see what device the CDROM was
initialized as.
Good luck,
Dave