YDL 2.2 booting from NuBus

Chris Urban yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:26:23 -0400

Hello,

I finally had some free time this past weekend to try installing YDL 2.2 on
my 7100. Previously, I tried to use a MKLinux booter and the latest kernel
(the YDL 2.0 installer, thanks Takashi!) to try and install on two 1G
drives. That didn't work - like most efforts, it ended with a transaction
set error. My guess is that there simply wasn't enough HD rooms.

Here's what I managed to accomplish:

Following past advice, and since the latest BootX doesn't work on the 7100,
I used a 7500 to install on a clean 9G with an OS 8.6 partition, and use the
remainder for YDL. That successfully installed, successfully rebooted with
BootX (1.2.4, whatever ships with the YDL CD), and everything worked great -
except that this was on a 7500.

So, I figured since I had everything installed and worked, it would be
simply a matter of reverting back to a different booter. I've tried MkLinux
and the latest kernel, but that only gets as far as displaying the first
four lines of progress and freezes. Then I found and downloaded an older
BootX, and used the vmlinux kernel that the YD installer used, but I get
errors with locating the dependencies file and then when it does get to the
login, everything I type comes up garbled, as though it loaded the wrong
keyboard map?
I tried a different kernel, the kernel on Takashi's site, which gets me as
far as a "kernel error, line 77"?

I know I'm close, so close I can taste it. Anyone have any suggestions?

The best thing I can think of now is to go back to the older BootX and try
reinstalling on the 7100 directly. Perhaps because I installed it on a
different system messed with some basic system settings??

Chris