YDL 2.2 booting from NuBus

Bo Brinkman yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:56:19 -0400

<snip>

> So, I figured since I had everything installed and worked, it would be
> simply a matter of reverting back to a different booter. I've tried MkLinux
> and the latest kernel, but that only gets as far as displaying the first
> four lines of progress and freezes. Then I found and downloaded an older
> BootX, and used the vmlinux kernel that the YD installer used, but I get
> errors with locating the dependencies file

This is normal, since you will be using a different kernel version than
the one you installed originally. You can safely ignore this, because
Takashi's kernels have all the drivers built-in, and do not need modules.

> and then when it does get to the
> login, everything I type comes up garbled, as though it loaded the wrong
> keyboard map?

YDL 2.0 and later use the new input layer, but their boot scripts don't
always do the right thing. There are two types of vmlinux kernels
provided by Takashi: Ones with or without the new input layer. If you
are using one that has the input layer (vmlinux-input*.gz) then switch
to one that doesn't have it (vmlinux*.gz, the word input isn't part of
the filename). And vice versa. One or the other should work for you.

--
William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman@cs.princeton.edu
Princeton Computer Science                 http://www.derandomized.org/