Bootloader and X

Russell Brunet yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:00:11 -0700

I just installed YD 2.3 and have a few questions.

1. When I was configuring the Bootloader, it asked if I have os 9 and os x
installed. When I said yes, the selection screen came up blank. I have both
on the same physical drive but on different partitions. YDL is on the first
drive and boots fine. OS 9 and OS X both boot fine if I use the mac boot
loader (hold down option at startup). How can I get the yaboot to work?

2. When the computer tries to load x (startx) at startup, it freaks out the
screen flashes on and off several times before it gives me the following
message:

INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

It then allows me to login to a text based environment. When I try to boot x
by typing startx, it tells me that my video card can't recognize 32 bit
color or some such and won't load. I then looked at the man page for startx
and tried the command "startx -- -24bit" and "startx -- -16bit" both brought
up a black screen and I eventually had to reboot (though it sounded like
stuff was happening ie. Hd was spinning, etc).

Sorry for rambling so, I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

Russell Brunet