Bootloader and X

Ed Smith-Rowland yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:20:43 -0400

Russell Brunet wrote:

> I just installed YD 2.3 and have a few questions.
> 2. When the computer tries to load x (startx) at startup, it freaks out the
> screen flashes on and off several times before it gives me the following
> message:
>
> INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> It then allows me to login to a text based environment. When I try to boot x
> by typing startx, it tells me that my video card can't recognize 32 bit
> color or some such and won't load. I then looked at the man page for startx
> and tried the command "startx -- -24bit" and "startx -- -16bit" both brought
> up a black screen and I eventually had to reboot (though it sounded like
> stuff was happening ie. Hd was spinning, etc).
>
> Sorry for rambling so, I hope someone can help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Russell Brunet

I think I can address #2.
Sounds like what happened to me when I installed YDL2.3 on my G3 iMac.
Basically, it didn't recognize my monitor (the default was something sensible
like iMac)
Anyhow, I reinstalled (don't know if this is necessary but it was the only way
I could get
in.)  I chose a text-based login instead of the graphical login.  Then I ran
the Python script
dexter.py and picked through the monitor choices until I found one that works.
I still
have my text login (I don't mind) but you couls probably switch back to
graphical.
--
Ed
Smith-RowlandE@jsc.mil