Install-problems on a IBM RS/6000 B50B

Tobias Orlamuende yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:21:05 +0200

Hi folks,

I bought a new B50 yesterday and spent all the day installing YDL
without any success.
First problem is that the CD-ROM seems not to be recognized by the
System.
It is a SCSI-2 which I connected with an adapter to the external SCSI
connector. I also added an active terminator to the cable. ID is set to
6, jumpers on the mainboard are set. In the OF it is not shown. HDD is
shown!
The second problem is that there seems to be no way for booting the
zImage.
I tried the following zImage's with related errors:
- zImage from Yellowdog (The one offered to download in the B50 install
guide) => OF shows "booting" and the machine hangs.
- zImage from RockLinux => It boots (I can see the penguin) but crashed
later on with kernel panic when trying to load the ramdisk-image. Seems
they
are using a special addressing of /dev/fd0. Error-msg is to start up
with
the right "root="-command.
-zImage from SuSE => System hangs when showing Hex-Addresses for the
devices
(Seems first action the zImage makes).
-zImage from Debian => OF shows error while loading zImage and returns
input line.
I tried booting from the OF with following command(s):
0> boot floppy:,zImage root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
and
0> boot floppy:,zImage root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 fake_initrd
and
0> boot floppy:,zImage root=/dev/fd load_ramdisk=1
and
0> boot floppy:,zImage root=/dev/fd load_ramdisk=1 fake_initrd
as well as with a "\" in front of "zImage"
Firmware on the machine is updated. I used the newest one from 2002.
Can anyone please kindly assist or post a _working_ howto/guide?

Regards

Tobias