CDROM won't boot

Dennis Fazio yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:16:37 -0500

--On Monday, August 19, 2002 15:30 -0700 Mark Felderman
<markfelderman@netscape.net> wrote:

> I downloaded the ydl iso to the desktop, opened Toast, choose from the
> Utilities menu: "Mount disk image," and then under the "copy" function
> choose the disk image I mounted through the Utilities menu.
>
> This produced a bootable disk that responded to the "c" key.

It turns out I had a couple of bad downloads. The first one gave me an
empty volume when mounted. I used your method for the second download, but
it wouldn't write a disk because it couldn't read one of the files in the
volume image.

I tried the third download. When mounted by Toast 4, it put two identical
volumes on the desktop, except that one was a Mac volume with the Mac icons
and the other was an ISO 9660 volume.

Anyway, I tried burning both using your method, but they wouldn't boot,
even though they both had files and folders on the disks.

The method that did work finally was from a friend who had an identical
PowerBook G4. I'll include it here for others. It's pretty simple and
requires no extra software.

Under Mac OS X:
1. Download image file dayton-2.3-20020704-install.iso which has
677,478,400 bytes.
2. Launch Disk Copy
3. Choose "Burn Image" from the Image menu and select the downloaded image
file in the open dialog box.
4. Burn the CD.

This then booted OK by holding "c" and I was able to install Linux. in my
4G partition by following the instructions in the online Install Guide.

I had other problems along the way, including hangs and odd behavior when
trying to burn with Toast, which were caused by a corrupted disk directory
later fixed by Norton. It was a long haul (with about 8 new coasters
created) for something  that should have been simple, again reminding me of
the lesson I learned about 10 years ago that Unix is not a new computer
experience, but rather a right of passage. :-)

I guess now the real fun begins, eh.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz@mac.com