HELP!-Installation problems on multiple 6500s

Chuck Coleman yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:18:54 -0700

on 8/15/02 10:33 AM, Miyasato, Kris at Kris.Miyasato@pepperdine.edu wrote:

> I am trying to install YDL 2.3 on a Powermac 6500 with 96mb ram and a 4.1gb
> harddrive. Every time I have tried to install using either the text based
> ramdisk or the graphical install tool, the install gets past the point where
> it checks for dependencies and starts to write when it kernel panics and
> dumps to the screen ending with -- Aiee Kernel Panic.
>
> I have initialized the drive per the manual and have done this several
> times. I made sure to follow the instructions on creating the partitions on
> the same session as I run the install.
>
> No luck, and I ran this on two different 6500s.
>
> I have even tried installing 2.2 in hopes of a better result, same thing,
> with the exception that it actually says it is writing to disk and the
> computer freezes (it said something about transferrring ghost-fonts, this
> message stayed on screen for more than an hour with no drive or cdrom
> activity).

I had the same problem. Installed it at least a dozen times.

My solution was to increase the boot disk to 100 MB and that worked. The
Linux guru's have said that non G3 machines don't use the boot disk. But it
worked they way that I did it and I don't care what they say it is now
running.

Chuck