Signal 15 error when attempting PPP connection

Mark L. Alexander yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:55:59 -0500

--
	When I try a dialup PPP connection from within X (using
kppp), I cannot connect. I get a 'PPP timed out before connecting!'
alert. When I click the 'Debug' button I'm told, "pppd 2.4.1: Signal
15 error" and "Sorry, kppp can't help with this one".
	During the connection process, the 'Login Script Debug'
window shows all apparently proceeding normally: init string, modem
dials and connects, LOGIN, PASSWORD, Your PPP address is
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, and then...the modem hangs up and I get the error
message.
	Some suggestions I have been told:
(1)	Go to /sbin (as root) and enter the command: "/sbin/route del
default". This didn't work.
(2)	Do an interactive boot, and disable the eth0 interface. I
haven't tried this.
(3)	Disable the eth0 interface by either using the Runlevel
Editor, or manually editing the appropriate rcX.d file(s), and then
reboot. I couldn't find it there.
(4)	Use netcfg to select PPP as the default network. I can't seem
to find netcfg in KDE, although I remember using it in Gnome with
LinuxPPC...where is it? The "Network Configurator" doesn't work.
(5)	Try another modem. This suggestion might actually make some
sense; my Beige G3 and Zoom v.92 don't get along too well in MacOS
9.2.2 (though the old Power 100 had no problems with it, and worked
just fine in both 9.1 and YDL 2.2).
	Mark L. Alexander
	alexander750@earthlink.net