Newbie Install...help with Yellow Dog Linux

Jean Boucher yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:49:27 -0700 (PDT)

Nigel,
What Lowell says is correct, but I think he's refering
to a Lilo text-mode boot prompt. I also have a biege
266 MHz G3, so I believe I can provide a little more
detailed description. When booting YDL on "Old World
ROMs", you have to use the BootX v1.2.3 loader, which
gives you a graphical pop-up screen to "Choose your
OS" (either MacOS, Linux, or even MkLinux). At the
bottom of that window, where it says "More kernel
arguments :", type in "single" (not "linux single").
That will boot Linux into single user mode & allow you
to change /etc/inittab so you can login without
automatically loading X.

BTW, I had the same problem. All I had to do is edit
my /etc/X11/XF86Config; I had to change my
DefaultDepth from 32 to 24, and delete the SubSection
Display with mode 32 because my G3's graphic card
doesn't seem to support 32-bit color depth. Good luck.
Good Luck