very slow KDE launch - and apt-get doesn't fix!

Jamie LaRue yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:56:32 -0600

Just installed YDL on an iMac, also with a Mac OS 9 partition (although
I may go back and install just one big Linux system, if Mac-on-Linux
works the way it's supposed to).

No problems -- until I tried to launch a KDE application. KWord took 10
seconds to give me a "pick a template" screen, which I did, then I
waited for 76 seconds (!) for the word processing window to appear.
Launching a second KWord windows (Ctrl-N) took another *94* seconds.

When I launch a non-KDE app, it pops up pretty quick.

The above seemed to match the message on the YDL website about a bug in
the qt program, so I followed instructions, and ran apt-get qt. When I
tried to install it, I was told that I already had the latest version,
so no upgrade took place. The problem continues.

I'm a Linux newbie; my very first machine is sitting in front of me. And
KDE is, well, unusable, although Abiword seems responsive enough. I
suppose I could figure out how to switch to Gnome (something about the
autostart file?), but I keep thinking I'm missing something obvious.

What very obvious mistake am I making here?

(And I've got 128 megs for a swap file, 192 megs of memory, and about 2
gigs dedicated to Linux. Seems like it should be enough!) I'd appreciate
a direct reply, but will also try to watch this list.

--
James LaRue * jlarue@jlarue.com * http://www.dpld.org
Voice: (720) 733-8624 * FAX: (720) 733-9622 fax