x windows with GeForce4 and ProNitron 17/350 monitor???

Jamie White yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 00:43:36 +0100

Hi!

I recently installed YDL (V2.3) from the disc image i downloaded and
burnt to a cd. I got the following output when I attempted to set the
login to graphical (if this helps any):

SystemError: (16,'Device or resource busy')

File ".isys.py", line 117, in umount
	rc=_isys.umount(what)

File "/usr/lib/yi/outro.py", line 81,
	isys.umount(mount)

File "/usr/lib/yi/outro.py", line 21, in configure
	self.umount()

File "/usr/lib/yi/template.py", line 57, in _call_
	return self.configure(args)

I then re-installed YDL, and set the log in to text, and the
installation completed. However, when it was installing the packages, a
few times it popped up with the message (just right of the progress
bar) that it hadn't found a file (I selected to install everything). I
take it this isn't normal? Or does it just pass over these files that
aren't there and install anyway?

At any rate, it does seem to be installed fine (I am a newbie, so I may
be missing something), but I tried to startx, and it quit. So , as per
the instructions on the yellow dog web site, i changed the monitor
settings to 'safe'. I have a ForMac 'ProNitron 17/350' (if that means
anything to you). It's capable of 1280x1024 x 60 Hz, and 1024x768,
800x600 and 640x480 all at 85 Hz. When x windows started though, the
colours were 'off'. I have tried other options and it doesn't work at
all!

I have a G4 tower 800 (last time round)
512MB RAM
nVidia GeForce 4 mx
ForMac ProNitron 17/350 monitor

I think I read somewhere that my video card also isn't supported, but I
can still get basic graphic support... right?

If anyone could help me with this situation (or at least tell me that I
have to wait for my video card to be supported or whatever), then that
would be a big help! Also, if I really shouldn't have got those 'file
not found' messages, I would like to know! Maybe I should buy the
official cd, but I'm only a poor student! :-(

Cheers,

J White

ps. I tried the following simple 'hello world' c++ program using vi and
cc, but can't seem to get it to work:

#include <iostream.h>
void main(){cout <<"Hello";}

I've never used c++/c before, and certainly not on mac/linux. I take it
this is still possible... Or have changes got to be made? I've
programmed in java before (in windows, osx and linux), so sorta know
what I'm doing, but I'm stumbling at the first hurdle here! Any help on
this would also be appreciated!