x windows with GeForce4 and ProNitron 17/350 monitor???

Jamie White yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:41:28 +0100

On Saturday, Aug 31, 2002, at 01:54 Europe/London, lowell wrote:

>>   However, when it was installing the packages, a few times it popped
>> up with the message (just right of the progress bar) that it hadn't
>> found a file (I selected to install everything). I take it this isn't
>> normal? Or does it just pass over these files that aren't there and
>> install anyway?
>>
> I got that, too, (see yesterday's post) but it seemed to go right on
> about its business for me, too. I was so optimistic that today I tried
> the home/office install; got the same missing file msg with the same
> results: just kept on truckin' and booted right up (chose inittab
> default 3 like a good linux boy)

I posted that message as soon as I joined the list, so I don't have
yesterdays posts! :-( . Is there an archiving system here?

>> At any rate, it does seem to be installed fine (I am a newbie, so I
>> may be missing something), but I tried to startx, and it quit. So ,
>> as per the instructions on the yellow dog web site, i changed the
>> monitor settings to 'safe'. I have a ForMac 'ProNitron 17/350' (if
>> that means anything to you). It's capable of 1280x1024 x 60 Hz, and
>> 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 all at 85 Hz. When x windows started
>> though, the colours were 'off'. I have tried other options and it
>> doesn't work at all!
>
> I had the same trouble starting X; so I "bak-ed" XF86Config-4 and
> XF86Config and ran Xconfigurator; chose the fail-safe choice like you
> did, and up it went. I too have the "slow kde blues" like the other
> poster and koffice leaves a bit to be desired (well a LOT actually)
> but I'd be happy as a clam if only I could get the ethernet to work;
> there's a light on the card and on the hub, but no pingie thingie

I don't get 'slow kde' (not that I've used it much), it's just the
colours that are messed up for me! Can X Windows usually run in 8 bit
colour mode? I hope to use open office when I have Linux running
properly, but that seems a little way off now...

J White