Tulip, Kernel 2.2.19, YDL, and my Comm Slot II Card

kaos yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:16:12 -0600

Varun Mehta wrote:
> Okay, this one has me at my wits' end!
>
> First off, I used to use LinuxPPC 2000 a long time back with no major issues
>
> I have a Power Mac 6500 that has been running OS 9.1 for a long time now.
> This 6500 has a Farallon Comm Slot II (CSII) 10/100 Ethernet card in it.
> When this machine used to run LinuxPPC the ethernet worked without a glitch.
> However, my YDL 2.3 installation (with 2.2 kernel because 2.4 hangs with
> black screen before the penguin even comes up) no lights on the card turn
> on, and my router says that no link has been established.  I've been looking
> into the matter, and on start up the machine thinks that the card should be
> run with the DE4x0 driver (or something like that), when I think it actually
> needs the tulip driver.
>
> I don't want to have to compile a new kernel, so if someone knows of a good
> one that will work fine, or can give me rather detailed instructions on what
> I would have to do to start ethernet up nicely, I would greatly appreciate
> it.
>
> Note, my OS 9 partition is running HFS+, which might make compiled kernel
> installation a little harder...
>
> Thank you all, don't let me down!
> Varun Mehta

Can you find out if the DE4x0 driver is compiled into the kernel or is
it a loadable module? Check the

		/lib/modules/2.2.x

directory for what modules you have compiled. It's possible that you
might have the tulip driver in there. It's worth a shot. In which case
you could 'modprobe' the tulip driver and it MIGHT find and configure
the CSII card for you, otherwise you'll have to edit a few text files to
get it to configure the card correctly.

Also, could you reply with a copy of an 'ifconfig' output? If you do
'ifconfig' and you only get localhost, then try doing 'ifconfig eth0 up'
and see what it says. You might just need to give the card an IP address
and bring the interface up.

Hope this helps.

--
[kaos]