Installing on Beige G3 with 2 CD's.

Stephen D. Scotti, M.D. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:49:30 -0600

On 12/12/02 4:01 PM, "kaos" <kaos@staticusers.net> wrote:

> Stephen Scotti wrote:
>> I have a Beige G3 and I?m trying to install YDL.  I downloaded the .iso
>> image from the web and burned a CD.  I also installed bootX using the
>> installer on the disk.  I am able to boot into the installer, but I can
>> get the installer to recognize the install CD.  I have two CD drives on
>> my mac.  One is a DVD player/CDRW and the other is a standard apple CD.
>>  I think everything will work if I can read the disk.  I guess it could
>> be related to the way I burned the CD with Toast.  I have burning
>> capability in the finder also.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> --
>> Stephen D. Scotti, M.D.
>> 6839 Langford Drive
>> Edina, MN 55436
>> 952-933-8775
>> --
>> WWW:  http://homepage.mac.com/sscotti/index.htm
>> E-mail:  sscotti@mac.com
>> --
>

> Depending on if you burned the CD correctly, my solution would be to
> temporarily unplug the power from from the DVD/CD-RW drive, leaving only
> the Apple CD-ROM drive plugged in.
>
> I'm willing to bet that the problem lies with the burned YDL CD though.
> There is a specific way you must burn the ISO using Toast in order to
> use it as a boot disk and whatnot.
>
> If you could, reply and let me know if you're actually booting from the
> YDL CD and running the installer from there, or if you used BootX to
> load the kernel and a ramdisk from your Mac OS partition.
>
> A little more information and we should have this straightened out soon.
>
> --
> [kaos]
> kaos@staticusers.net
> help save the planet, kill yourself

I actually did that with the Mandrake Linux set and not the Yellow Dog.  Now
that I have things set up with the Apple drive I might want to try it with
YDL again.  I have OS X, OS 9 and Orange Micro Win98 running already, all of
which I do use some, but I'm interested in Linux too.  Thing is, what could
I do with Linux that I'm not already doing with all of these other OS's.
Also, Linux seems like kind of a pain to install.

sds