Installing on Beige G3 with 2 CD's.

kaos yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:01:53 -0600

Stephen Scotti wrote:
> I have a Beige G3 and I?m trying to install YDL.  I downloaded the .iso
> image from the web and burned a CD.  I also installed bootX using the
> installer on the disk.  I am able to boot into the installer, but I can
> get the installer to recognize the install CD.  I have two CD drives on
> my mac.  One is a DVD player/CDRW and the other is a standard apple CD.
>  I think everything will work if I can read the disk.  I guess it could
> be related to the way I burned the CD with Toast.  I have burning
> capability in the finder also.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> --
> Stephen D. Scotti, M.D.
> 6839 Langford Drive
> Edina, MN 55436
> 952-933-8775
> --
> WWW:  http://homepage.mac.com/sscotti/index.htm
> E-mail:  sscotti@mac.com
> --

Depending on if you burned the CD correctly, my solution would be to
temporarily unplug the power from from the DVD/CD-RW drive, leaving only
the Apple CD-ROM drive plugged in.

I'm willing to bet that the problem lies with the burned YDL CD though.
There is a specific way you must burn the ISO using Toast in order to
use it as a boot disk and whatnot.

If you could, reply and let me know if you're actually booting from the
YDL CD and running the installer from there, or if you used BootX to
load the kernel and a ramdisk from your Mac OS partition.

A little more information and we should have this straightened out soon.

--
[kaos]
kaos@staticusers.net