RealTek 8139 drivers?

Sören Kuklau yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 23:38:02 +0200

Hi,

I successfully installed YellowDog Linux 2.2 on an UMAX Apus 3000 clone and most of the hardware works, except the networking card (which, since the computer should become a server, is kind of important ;-) ).

less /proc/pci showed me that it was detected as an rtl8139-based card, which is correct. The card worked without trouble under Mac OS 8.6. Unfortunately, there is no driver for it in the lib/*some deep path*/drivers/net directory, so I had to look at the internet and found an uncompiled version for RedHat Linux 7.3. It didn't work - neither by running its Makefile (it returned several suspicious "command not found" errors) nor by entering the Makefile's parameters directly into a gcc command (that caused depmod not to be "satisfied" with the resulting 8139too.o file).

So I'm wondering, was anyone (there must be someone. rtl8139 is quite popular) successful at compiling an rtl8139 driver, or at getting one from someone else? Or, is the driver included with YellowDog Linux 2.3, and if so, is there an easy way to update (if *not*, then I can update later on using apt-get, but that of course won't work without a working network card either)?

TIA!

--
Sören Nils Kuklau ('Chucker')
mailto:chucker@web.de