Future useful life of StarMax 5000

Paul Henry Wehr yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:20:38 +0900

This MacClone of an Apple PPC 4400 has lead a good clean life and I
wish for it to continue to serve me well. Next month, I hope to set
it up as a home LAN server and as a firewall (I think) connection
with cable or DSL to the outside world. I'm thinking that YDL may do
the trick and it would be worth it to me to buy one of the packages
if I can be relatively assured that I will be able to communicate
with the outside world--and the inside world.

I don't plan to use it as a work station, though it would be nice to
experiment with server types of programs without endangering the
outside world. (My bash scripts and perl coding is rather hit and
miss.)

I think I remember reading on the YDL site that they suggest that the
StarMax clones would probably work with YDL , but were not
specifically supported. A year or so ago, I installed a dual boot
Linux on my StarMax, but could not print, could not use the ethernet,
and couldn't communicate with my Mac (big surprise--it was busy
running Linux. ha ha.) Is there anyone out there successfully running
something similar on a StarMax clone?

I've got StarMax 5000 MT/250 w/Sonnet G3/350, 160 MB RAM, SCSI CD,
Zynx Ethernet card, VooDoo3 2000 video card, USB card, Adaptec IDE
adapter card, SCSI and IDE hard disks of assorted sizes from 4.5 GB
to 60 GB. My connection with the outside world is a dial-up account
with a USB modem.

I anticipate needing a different card to connect with a power modem,
a hub, and assorted additional network cabling, dropping the USB
modem, a couple of the hard drives. It won't be to critical to me if
the G3 card or the video card aren't supported.

I don't imagine I would hear from anyone who is having better success
with another distribution. Why would they hang around YDL lists? I
kind of picked YDL since they will be just down the street from where
I'll be next month.
--
__          nen no maru
|__)        haiyai arukimasu