Newbie, in the newbie list, with a newbie question

Steve Thompson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:27:07 +0100

Dear all,

First of all, the usual apologies if this a common question. However, based
on the fact that my installer keeps crashing I don't think it's that common
a question or I'd have found the answer by now!

I have downloaded the ISO CD image of version 2.3 and made a CD and tried
to follow the instructions on the YellowDog website to install YDL on a
7600/132 with a 4Gb HD and 192Mb Memory. I partitioned the drive 1Gb - 3Gb.
On the 1Gb Partition I installed 9.1 and rebooted.

I inserted my YDL CD and ran the X Boot Installer which asked me to restart
after install.

When the Boot Loader came up, I checked that I had the right Ram Disk image
selected and clicked "Linux"

I get taken through a license agreement, "Custom" or "Default" installs
(tried both), Keyboard layout, Disk to use, Package selection (tried
various; I'm actually trying to build an intranet server but I've tried all
the installs)

I then get a window up

Black Title Bar "Overal Progress" and lots of strips of various colours
which is where I guess the Progress Bars should be. Unfortunately, that's
it. Pointer still moves but there's no disk activity or anything else.
Restart, try again, same thing.

Anyone come across this?

Thanks in advance,

Steve