B&W G3 limitations?

John Allan yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:20:47 +0100

Hi,

Two quick questions, just running my first Linux install,

I wondered if anyone new if the physical limitations on B&W G3 towers under
Mac OS also applied to YDL? e.g. does the issue regarding support / data
corruption if two IDE drives still matter? Likewise, I think that it was
limited to a max 9GB HDs or was that only to maximum first partition.

300 MHz G3 tower 6GB HD 256 MB RAM all STD inc ZIP drive.

Secondly,

does YDL use the same ROM for all New World PowerMacs? e.g. If I do an
install on a B&W, can I pull the HD out and stick it in a G4 graphite with
same amount of RAM and expect it to work?

I had a hell of a time trying to get it to install onto a beige G3 with SCSI
HD but am very impressed with easy of install onto New World Mac. Ran the "
kitchen sink install but am now going for the stripped down LAN server
package as I am looking to replace a flaky ASIP server in a small office.

All complete new to me but I reckoned that if I have to learn a new language
what with X coming along then I ought to learn Linux.

Thanks,

John