Telnet and FTP - use sshd, wu-ftpd and webmin

Fred Laxton yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:26:43 -0400

You don't want Telnet anyway, it's insecure.  Use ssh instead, which is
included.  You may want to restrict it to ssh version 2, by modifying
the /etc/sshd conf file.  ssh 1 has some known vulnerabilities.  For
remote access to your Linux Mac, there are ssh clients for Windows and
Mac OS 9.  ssh is built in to OS X of course.

What's really cool is to run ssh like:

ssh -2 -X -l username remote-ip-of-the-machine-to-contact

where "-2" uses ssh version 2; -X forwards X windows to YOUR machine.
So you can launch a program on your YDL box and have it display it's
graphical window on YOUR machine - very handy!

An FTP server *is* included with YellowDog - wu-ftpd is on the Tasty
Morsels CD or their FTP site.

While you're at it, install Webmin and use it to configure sshd and
wu-ftp.  For some reason the webmin rpm doesn't install correctly, so
you'll probably have to compile it from source from the webmin site.
Webmin is a fantastic remote administration tool for *nix systems - best
thing since sliced bread.

Fred

--
Fred Laxton