Telnet and FTP

Pat Plummer yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:09:24 -0600

On Saturday, July 27, 2002, at 12:01 , Steve Thompson"
<steve@proscript.co.uk>wrote:

> I've got my 7600 running KDE on YDL which only took me two days...
>
> Now I'm there, I've found (or I think this is how I understand it)
> that I
> can't telnet or ftp to the box without telnet and ftp server software,
> both
> of which AREN'T included.
>
> Obviously, I know I can't telnet or ftp to the box without a server. I
> mean
> that I didn't realise that they don't come with YDL
>
> Can anyone recommend a telnet and ftp server for YDL?

Actually both services come with YDL, they are just likely turned off.

Go to the /etc/xinetd.d directory and you will see a list of files that
correspond to the different services. As root, edit the file that
corresponds to the service you wish to control (such as telnet and
proftpd) with pico or your favorite editor such that the line in the
file that says "disable =" is set to no. Restart xinetd and those
services you have enabled should be on.

Be sure that the ftp server config file is edited such that your system
is secure if it accessible from the internet and all the usual cautions
about using ssh rather than telnet since it is more secure apply. Read
about the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files to further secure your system.

HTH,
Pat