A TOTAL newbie.

l.biagiotti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:37:50 +0200

on 7/29/02 2:49 PM, Shawn Dunn at sfalken@dumpsterdivers.net wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:22:44 +0200
> "l.biagiotti" <l.biagiotti@tiscali.it> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I decided to subscribe the TerraSoft mailing list (thanks for the
>> opportunity!) after having spent LOTS of hour trying to install YDL
>> 2.2 on a 6100/60 PowerMac and, having roamed around the net in the
>> search for solutions, tips, tricks and such.
>>
> <snip>
>> To cut a long story short:
>>
>> I have a 6100/60 with a 4gig hd, 40mb of ram and a 40x Pioneer DR 706s
>> "slot loading" cd drive and a G3/240 accellerator form Sonnet
>> (actually disabled as I would love to just be able to install Linux at
>> present; eventual incompatibility with this card I will investigate
>> later).
>>
>> I have been trying to boot with the (original) YFL 2.2 cd in vain;
>> apparently the 6100 doesn-t recognize this cd as a valid bootable
>> media...
>>
>> I have been trying to use BootX but, after installing and rebooting
>> the machine would just hang on a "type 10 error" caused by the BootX
>> extension.(Also tried to use two other BootX installers coming from a
>> YDL 2.3 cd and from a friend's YDL 2.2 cd just in case ... no way
>> ...).
>>
> Well, the biggest problem is, YDL doesn't technically support the NuBus
> machines (of which the 6100 is the first of them), you either need to go
> with MkLinux, or try the vmlinux+installer for YDL at
> http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net, and BootX WILL NOT WORK with this
> machine, it must be patched, you have to install the MkLinux booter for
> the first few boots, available at ftp://ftp.mklinux.org.
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> --Shawn

Thnaks for your help Shawn, I just went at Sourceforge (which I knew
already) but I can't seem to find the vmlinux + installer you told me about
amongst all the other kernels in there ...

for what is about the MkLinux booter as I said in my previous post I already
am using it but it won't install anything as, I get a "kernel panic VNF"
error at the end of the firmware boot which, tells me that I must enter a
valid rootdev=/dev/whatever boot drive (even if I did set correctly set
lilo.conf as rootdev=/dev/ram which is the default in order to install Linux
if I'm not wrong).

I also tried to install a semi-stable MachKernel-20010619 in the extensions
folder to no avail. The darn kernel panic error always pops out in the end
and the MkLinux installer reboots the machine while nothing has been
installed in the meantime ....

I'm not anywhere near the point to be dropping the whole matter, I WANT
Linux on the machine but I really am stuck all the way down and the pletora
of kernels on the sourceforge site is not helping me at all in understanding
what to do. I know I'm stupid but I really do not understand what I am
supposed to do and what I have to install and there are lots of instructions
and tutorials that seem to take as granted that I already know everything
about how to configure my Mac in order to install Linux. While this is
absolutely wrong, the more I read the less I understand also because there
are many infos and tips that contradict each other ... my oh my ... :-)

Lorenzo