A TOTAL newbie.

Shawn Dunn yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:29:59 -0700

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:37:50 +0200
"l.biagiotti" <l.biagiotti@tiscali.it> wrote:

> on 7/29/02 2:49 PM, Shawn Dunn at sfalken@dumpsterdivers.net wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:22:44 +0200
> > "l.biagiotti" <l.biagiotti@tiscali.it> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I decided to subscribe the TerraSoft mailing list (thanks for the
> >> opportunity!) after having spent LOTS of hour trying to install YDL
> >> 2.2 on a 6100/60 PowerMac and, having roamed around the net in the
> >> search for solutions, tips, tricks and such.
> >>
> > <snip>
> >> To cut a long story short:
> >>
> >> I have a 6100/60 with a 4gig hd, 40mb of ram and a 40x Pioneer DR
> >> 706s"slot loading" cd drive and a G3/240 accellerator form Sonnet
> >> (actually disabled as I would love to just be able to install Linux
> >> at present; eventual incompatibility with this card I will
> >> investigate later).
> >>
> >> I have been trying to boot with the (original) YFL 2.2 cd in vain;
> >> apparently the 6100 doesn-t recognize this cd as a valid bootable
> >> media...

<snip>
> > Well, the biggest problem is, YDL doesn't technically support the
> > NuBus machines (of which the 6100 is the first of them), you either
> > need to go with MkLinux, or try the vmlinux+installer for YDL at
> > http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net, and BootX WILL NOT WORK with this
> > machine, it must be patched, you have to install the MkLinux booter
> > for the first few boots, available at ftp://ftp.mklinux.org.
> >

> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > --Shawn
>

> Thnaks for your help Shawn, I just went at Sourceforge (which I knew
> already) but I can't seem to find the vmlinux + installer you told me
> about amongst all the other kernels in there ...
>
> for what is about the MkLinux booter as I said in my previous post I
> already am using it but it won't install anything as, I get a "kernel
> panic VNF" error at the end of the firmware boot which, tells me that
> I must enter a valid rootdev=/dev/whatever boot drive (even if I did
> set correctly set lilo.conf as rootdev=/dev/ram which is the default
> in order to install Linux if I'm not wrong).

This is because there IS no linux kernel, the MkLinux booter boots the
Mach Kernel, which then loads the appropriate Linux kernel off of the
CD, or off of the ext2 partition, in /mach_servers If you want to
install MkLinux direct, the stock 6100 CD-ROM will not read cd-r's
reliably, so you'll need to hook something else up.....  and change
rootdev= in lilo.conf to rootdev=/dev/scd0  (provided your new CD-ROM is
assigned a SCSI ID lower than three)

> I also tried to install a semi-stable MachKernel-20010619 in the
> extensions folder to no avail. The darn kernel panic error always pops
> out in the end and the MkLinux installer reboots the machine while
> nothing has been installed in the meantime ....

Note above, if the Mach Kernel cannot find an appropriate linux server
image, it will panic

			--Shawn