KPPP & Browsing problems.

Peter Hutnick yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:47:19 -0600 (MDT)

> I have the DNS IP addresses and they are the same as on my MaxOS8.6
> partition.
>
> Is there something I need to tell the browser about the modem or how to
> connect?

The three general possibilities based on what you have said are 1. You
aren't passing IP traffic with your ISP. 2. Your PPP connection isn't your
default route or 3. You aren't getting DNS resolution.

Some questions.

Are you getting an IP from your ISP?  (Try ifconfig with no args.)

If so:

Can you ping your gateway? (If so your default route is good.)
Can you ping something on your ISPs net (like the DNS server) by IP? (If
so you are passing IP traffic.)
Can you ping an arbitrary host on the Internet (Dell is at 143.166.83.200)
by IP? (If so you are routing to the Internet.)
Can you ping your ISPs websever by name? (If so you have some level of DNS.)
Can you ping dell.com? (If so you have a problem with your web browser.)
Can you browse your ISPs website by IP? (If so you have a DNS problem.)

-Peter