6100 and 2.2

l.biagiotti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:38:34 +0200

on 30-07-2002 19:49, Thomas Carlson at tcarls@earthlink.net wrote:

> Lorenzo,
>
> Maybe the kernel that you used doesn't support your particular cdrom device.
> Try the one I used, Etsushi Kato's MachKernel-YDL2.2-2.4.6pre3 is at:
>
> ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/pub/users/ekato/nubus-pmac/YDL2.2/
>
> Follow the instructions that he provides there for setting up your lilo.conf
> file.  Mine is a stock cdrom drive, too.  The real problems that I had with
> the installation came later.  The 2.2 installer doesn't support
> installations from a hard drive or zip disk so unless you can get the kernel
> to support your particular cdrom device I think you're stuck.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Tom
Oh my... if these are not the real installation problems I don't wanna know
what they are :-).

I have tried to d/l both Kato's kernels (2.4.6 and 2.4.13) but nothing
happened. In both cases the YDL installer fails to recognize the presence of
the cd drive or better, at a certain point while the installer is booting I
can see (amongst the others) a couple of text lines showing the location and
id of the disk drive and another scsi device with id1 which is precisely
that of the cd drive. The problem is that this line says that the "device"
has been put "offline" because the installer failed to read it ...

By the way, have you got any suggestion to spare as to how can I check if
there is a kernel which supports this darn cd drive? I have tried a couple
of Google searches with something like "kernel for Pioneer cd-rom drive" but
obtained nothing ...

Lorenzo