6100 and 2.2

l.biagiotti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:37:56 +0200

on 30-07-2002 23:48, Thomas Carlson at tcarls@earthlink.net wrote:

> Lorenzo
>
> Well, you got me curious about my cdrom drive.  I popped the top on my 6100
> and it is an AppleCD 300 made by Matusuchita-Kotobuki Electronics in March
> of 1994.  You might have to find a used one like that somewhere as the
> Pioneer drive doesn't work, apparently.
>
> Sorry.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom et all.

Thanks for your replies. In a desperate attempt I even tried to contact
Pioneer support in order to check wether they have any comment on the matter
(I obviously do not hold my breath on it but just in case...).

At this point it sounds to me that having to change my cd drive in order to
be able to install a Linux distro really is the "last resort". Wouldn't it
be more advisable to try and get a different distro like Mandrake or Suse
perhaps?

I have been trying to associate the Pioneer cd drive together with Linuxppc
and kernels along various queries around the net to no avail. Is there, to
your knowledge, a site (or whatever) that can tell me what hardware is
supported by what kernels? I know this question will sound petty but I
really am (and feel) stuck and I don't want to give up while I also don't
know what to do or where to seek any light for my darkness ...

Lorenzo