YDL network setup question

Andrew Cunningham yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 20:19:28 -0500

I am stuggling with the network configuration on my server, which has a
freshly install of YDL. First I couldn't connect to the machine (a 7250
workgroup server) from my lan; that has been remedied by switching to the
onboard ethernet (btw, does farallon have any linux drivers for their 10/100
NIC?).

Now the issue is that I cannot seem to connect to the server from outside
the lan. I have a Netgear RT314 router that has all of the correct ports for
http, ftp, etc. forwarded to the server's IP on the lan (works great under
OS9 w/Appleshare IP!). I use the public DNS (http://soa.granitecanyon.com)
for my nameservers, so I am only running a caching nameserver on the server.
I entered my nameservers, primary and secondary, during setup, but the
machine cannot verify them using the nslookup command. Do I need to be
running a DNS locally?

Additionally, the server does not seem to want to keep my domain name. I
enter it using 'domainname -v goodandy.com', but it doesn't stick between
reboots, so I end up with nothing (blank) when I check the domainname. The
domain name should be goodandy.com, and the hostname 7250wgs, so the whole
fully qualified domain name would be 7250wgs.goodandy.com.

When I connect to the server under OS9, I don't use the www prefix... only
http://goodandy.com. Does this mean that I should set the hostname to www
(thus www.goodandy.com??)? And how to get it to stick??

As you can see, I have a lot of questions! Is there anyone out there who is
using YDL for their web server and could help? I would be forever in your
debt.

Thank you in advance,

Andy Cunningham
Indianapolis, IN