No Mac OS CD - What Now?

Marc Stergionis yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:34:31 -0600

At sometime around 1:18 PM -0600 on 6/17/02, Andrew McVinnie wrote thus:
>  >> Actually, if you are just going to use the 7500 for YDL, you dont
>>>  really NEED Mac OS on it at all if you don't want it.
>>
>>According to YDL's web site, I do need it because the 7500 is an "Old World"
>>Mac.
>>
>>>  I think you
>>>  can startup from the YDL CD and delete all the partitions and just
>>>  make a nice large Linux Partition.  But you'd have to try, I've never
>>>  done that.
>>
>>You mean I can format and partition my drive using YDL CD? I thought I
>>needed the Mac OS Install CD for that.  Hmm....
>
>Well, since your machine requires Mac OS to use YDL, you will need to
>format with a Mac OS CD.  My suggestion was based only on the fact
>thatyou were not going to have a Mac OS partition.  The YDL Cd can
>not make a Mac partition that the Mac OS can see.  So you will infact
>need a Mac OS CD of some sort.  Sorry my idea didnt help.

I believe 7.5x is the latest free download from the Apple site. And
it takes a couple of "updates" to get from 7.5.1 to 7.5.5.

However you'll be able to get by with a minimal install. Or even use
an old pre-8.5 DFA/Emergency disk to start up? Don't remember if the
DFA disk can be copied onto an HD and still start it up, but you
might try.

Does the machine not have an OS on it now? Maybe you can copy the
System Folder onto something and then back onto its own small
partition if the drive is not partitioned yet?

Alternatively, you should be able to get something like an OS 8.6
disk pretty cheap on Ebay.

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis