No Mac OS CD - What Now?

John Kim yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:41:43 -0400

> > I believe 7.5x is the latest free download from the Apple site. And
> > it takes a couple of "updates" to get from 7.5.1 to 7.5.5.
> >
> > Does the machine not have an OS on it now? Maybe you can copy the
> > System Folder onto something and then back onto its own small
> > partition if the drive is not partitioned yet?
>
> He should be able to use less than a minimal install. All he needs is the
> System and Finder files, an extension folder with the BootX extension, and
> folder with any Kernels he may want in it (he'll have to have at least
one).

> I'm no Linux guru, but I've installed it about 1/2 dozen times or so, then
> failed to do much with it. :)
>
> Bert

Bert et al.:

I'd love to have a chance to do nothing with my Mac!  But I'm not sure what
you mean ... If I download System 7.5 Installation floppies from Apple (19
of them!), then will I be able to partition the HD into 2 partitions, and
put System 7.5 into one of the partitions?  And then be able to install
BootX?

My Mac already has OS8.5 on it (but I don't have the install CD), and it has
only one HD. I'd like to avoid having to buy an OS install CD or another HD.
After all... I might wind up doing nothing with this!  :)

Thanks,

-John