Cant boot..

Jay Savage yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:35:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday,  20, 2002, at 06:41PM, will wade <willjwade@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ok, installed yellow dog 2.2 trying to follow all the instructions as I
>could on my Rev A imac with 120G hard drive..
>
>/dev/hda6 untitled 2 hfs 5859MB
>/dev/hda7 untitled   hfs 10MB
>/dev/hda8 swap       linux-swap 128Mb
>/dev/hd9  untitled   ext2 109.2Gb

<snip>

>boot:linux
>Please wait, loading kernel...
>/pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@0:9,/boot/vmlinux: Input/Output error
>
>I would love to guess that the disk@0:9 is wrong but a) I really shouldn1t
>guess with something I clearly have no idea about and b) have no idea how I
>would edit it.

I would go with disk@0.9 being wrong, or possibly ide@20000  It may not even exist.  I had a similar problem, and the culprit was the installer assigning the partitions (and even the drives!) the wrong names.  In my case, it was pretty obvious: the installer tried to tell me that hda was hdb.  I knew it was wrong but there was nothing I could do about it.  In your case, I'd pick up a copy of the macOS version of pdisk from mklinux.org, if you don't already have it, and find out what partitions things are really on.

--jay