question about compiling a kernel

Nils Crompton yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:11:06 +1000

I have found that the best way to get commands to work is use text based
login. then log in as root and don't start x or rathe <startx>.  Then
<cd> to the directory you dowloaded the source. type <./configure> then
<make> and <make install>.  There is also something about where you
download certain packages.  I think the best  place was
'/usr/local/bin/rpm' or the likes.

sorry I am a newbie mysekf.

>> Hopefully this is an easy question with a quick
>> solution.  I downloaded the source for compiling a
>> kernel and unpacked.  I then typed make menuconfig and
>> got a bash: make: command not found.  This seems like
>> the easy step.  What am I missing?
>
> Are you logged in as root or have you become the superuser (su -) to do
> the compile?
>
> Are you sure you have all the build tools installed?

also try <apt-get distconfig> <apt-get update> then <apt-get install
lib*> to make sure you have all the stuff you need.

nils