question about compiling a kernel

Harold Shanafield yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

ok, so it looks like it wasn't such an easy question.
Here are the particulars as I can remember them: I was
following the howto on the ydl site.  I unpacked the
files (for the latest ben kernel) to
/usr/src/src-linux...  I created the link to
/usr/src/linux.  Everything looks good when I ls.
>From the /usr/src/linux directory I did a make
menuconfig and got the bash: make: command not found.
I also tried make mrproper as was mentioned in the ben
readme and got the same error.  There were no other
directories from previous attempts because this was my
first try at building the kernel myself.  Build tools
were mentioned which begs the question: What build
tools?  I have the basic install.  Thanks to those who
responded.

Harold

On Sunday, June 23, 2002, at 12:01 , Harold Shanafield

<hshanafield@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hopefully this is an easy question with a quick
> solution.  I downloaded the source for compiling a
> kernel and unpacked.  I then typed make menuconfig
and
> got a bash: make: command not found.  This seems
like
> the easy step.  What am I missing?

A couple of things come to mind:

Are you logged in as root or have you become the
superuser (su -) to do
the compile?

Are you sure you have all the build tools installed?

Just some thoughts...

Pat