"mysterious murder"; linux down, help!!

Alliance for the Reform of Medicine yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 07:38:34 -0800 (PST)

BIG PROBLEM

I should have left well enough alone, but I wanted the
text, icons and everything to be smaller on the screen
(they are way too oversized) so I tried going through
the Xconfigurator as Terrasoft Support had previously
detailed.

Result: disaster!!

I get nothing now but a blank screen flashing
periodically with a message about something
mysteriously being murdered, and every time it flashes
it has stated this again. It doesn't show up long
enough for me to read what process went wrong leading
to the "murder."

Helpp!!!

Update:

I was, with difficulty, finally able to read the
repeating message.

It says "According to var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already
running, but seems to have been murdered,
mysteriously.

I can do nothing but turn off the computer. Then when
it reboots it goes into the same awful cycle of error
again.

It was the non-probing specification for
Xconfigurator; did I choose the wrong video card or
what? And how do I get my linux back?

Thanks