a bunch of newbie questions

mutex yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
02 May 2002 11:26:31 -0600

Lemme see if i can answer a few of these...

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 12:06, Rodney Orpheus wrote:
> I installed YDL 2.2 on my PowerBook a few days ago, and I'm liking it a
> lot, but there's a few weirdnesses that I can't figure out. I've tried
> looking stuff up all over the place, but so far no answer to these. So
> any assistance on the following would be most welcome...
>
> 1. When I try to run AbiWord it stops with an error message saying that
> it needs to be run from it's shell wrapper script. I have no idea
> where/what that is. Is this standard behaviour or something odd in my
> system?

I had this problem too, i think you actually need to run "AbiSuite" or
something instead, it sets some enviornment variables to load fonts
correctly or something.  do an "rpm -q abiword" to see all the binaries
it installed .. and just search through those.

> 2. I assume it should be fairly trivial to connect as a client to
> AppleTalk and SMB networks, but I can't see how it's done. Lots of
> intructions as to how to set up a server, but I just want to run a
> client. Is this possible, or do I have to run the full Samba/Netatalk
> servers?

I haven't had any experience with appletalk and linux.  Generally people
don't use appletalk.  As for samba, i have a lot of experience with it,
and i can say it works really well.  I'd suggest checking out the samba
howto's at linuxdoc.org.  Or if you think you need to know a bit more, i
highly reccomend the "Using Samba" book by Oreilly... it's been a great
help for me.

> 3. Is there any app in the distribution that allows me to watch
> VCDs/DVDs?

I reccomend Ogle, it's a great DVD player.  And you can grab a binary or
source rpm for ydl from http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/
I've used it, and have been very happy with it(aside from the nasty Xv
rendering but i have, but that's another story)

> 4. I have an HFS partition with MacOS 9 on the machine too, and AFAIK I
> should be able to mount this under YDL. Can't figure out how to do it
> though.

if it's is HFS plus then you can definatly NOT mount it.  However, if
it's HFS your good to go.  You need to make sure the hfsutils rpm is
installed(which it should be).  then you can just use the provided
"hmount" like the regular mount, block quotith the man page:

	 hmount source-path [partition-no]

> 5. I was trying to set up my Palm to sync with Evolution, and I messed
> up the settings somehow. Now I can't reset it using the Gnome Control
> Center without getting a segmentation fault from the GnomePilot Demon.
> How can get directly to the config file I messed up and fix it?

Sorry don't have a palm can't help you there.  Although, i know there is
a evolution channel on the gnome irc server where a lot of
developers/users hang out.  I suggest digging around gnome.org for the
address and logging on.  They will know.

hope that all helps