ydl2.2 on powermac 4400 how to install?

Alex Nonnemacher yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 07 May 2002 20:19:15 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_m55WPsE2HdMjtxi5FSSKPA)

My only question for you, Peter, is, How did you burn the CD? G. Neault=20=

has written directions on how a burn must be done for it to be bootable;=20=

I'll include the link to his iTools drive, as well as the full text of=20=

that message below.

The reason I ask is, the procedure is specific. That is, you have to use=20=

Toast on Macs running Systems 8 or 9; OS X can burn bootable discs via=20=

Disk Copy, but there are *rules*.

Don't give up!

alex

http://homepage.mac.com/wollyworld/FileSharing1.html

How To create a Linux Install Disk for PPC-Linux in MacOS

Note: This document will refer to YellowDog Linux v2.1 as your=20
PPC-compatible Linux distribution, for installation on an Apple=20
Macintosh computer. The process is identical for any Linux distro which=20=

works on a Mac. We will be using tools from MacOS, so you will need (at=20=

a minimum) a bootable MacOS CD or MacOS installed on your computer.

What you need: An Apple Macintosh Power-PC based computer. The original=20=

MacOS Install CD or MacOS installed and running on the computer. A=20
working Internet connection. A CDR drive and one blank CDR disk for each=20=

.iso (disk image) file (minimum: 1 disk).

Optional (required for OS9 and earlier): Roxio Toast Titanium (full=20
version, not Toast Lite).

Background: Linux-PPC compiled distributions rely on standard Apple=20
hardware conventions for a CD install. This means your Mac should be=20
able to boot from a MacOS CD. As a general rule, there should be no=20
problem here.

Very old Macintosh computers: Virtually all PowerPC Macs have a CD-ROM=20=

drive installed by Apple as new. Older 68000 series Macs generally do=20
not. You should use a Linux distribution which will run on 68000=20
computers and follow the directions provided.

Mac-compatible clones: Some clones do not use CD-ROM drives manufactured=20=

with special chips Apple uses to insure a bootable CD will work. In this=20=

case, you may need the installation CD specific to your machine, where=20=

you will find 3rd party drivers you may need. There may be other=20
installation and configuration issues with clones; although you may find=20=

this document useful, you should seek other information specific to your=20=

hardware before you go further.

How to test: If you know that your computer can run MacOS X, and it is=20=

not a clone, you can safely assume the CD is bootable. For earlier OS=20
versions, place any MacOS install CD into your computer, and restart.=20
When the computer first shuts down, press and hold the 'C' key on the=20
keyboard. Do not release the key before you see the "Happy Mac" icon on=20=

your desktop. At this point, the Mac has found a valid System Folder,=20
and you may release the key. Allow the computer to start up normally,=20
and (if necessary) confirm that the OS is running from the CD. Normally=20=

the desktop background will be obviously different, a limited number of=20=

extensions will be loaded, or the System will be using an unusually low=20=

amount of memory. However, if you still aren't sure, try a simple test.=20=

For example, you could try to eject the CD; the Mac will refuse (and=20
provide a warning dialog) if the computer is running from the System on=20=

the removable disk rather than a Hard Disk Drive-based System.

Get the ISO: Go to a Linux distro's download site, or another site (a=20
"mirror") which has these files available. YellowDog Linux is available=20=

from: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com There may be a number of files=20
available. You need to download a file which is named similar to:=20
fuji-2.1-install.iso "fuji" is YellowDog Linux's code name for the 2.1=20=

version of their Linux distro. "2.1" is the version number of this same=20=

distribution. "install.iso" tells you that this is the installation CD=20=

disk image. The file extension (.iso) is the most important part of the=20=

filename; it tells you that you are downloading a disk image suitable=20
for CD burning. You may find folders or files named similar to: SRPMS=20
These are source files for the Linux distribution. In general, you do=20
not want to use these unless you are having certain special problems or=20=

you are an experienced Linux user (and probably don't need to be reading=20=

this).

Important: The Linux file you are downloading is not designed to be=20
useable in MacOS. You should not attempt to view the file, mount it on=20=

your Mac desktop, or have a "helper application" do anything with the=20
file after the download is complete. Leave it alone, for now.

Background: This file has information designed to insure the downloaded=20=

file is complete and uncorrupted, called a checksum. Opening it with=20
MacOS, mounting it, or allowing a "helper application" to process it may=20=

alter the checksum. Later, this will cause the installation to fail.

Depending on your internet connection speed, the download may take hours=20=

or even days; it is approximately 650 megabytes and must be downloaded=20=

as a single continuous file. Many programs (including MS Internet=20
Explorer v5) will allow you to resume a download if it is interrupted;=20=

still this may not always work correctly. If you later find that there=20=

are both installation problems and you had to resume the download often=20=

because of connection problems, you should seriously consider purchasing=20=

a CD from YellowDog Linux.

Burning the disk.

If you have MacOSX: You can use the utilities provided in MacOSX to burn=20=

the image. To do so, you must have OSX installed and running on your=20
computer. You cannot access these programs from the OSX installation CD.

Important: You cannot use the "Burn Disk" command in the menu bar of=20
OSX. Although it will work (as far as creating a disk goes) the=20
resulting disk will not have the correct format to be useable in Linux.

Background: Linux Hard Disks, CDs, and other removable disks use a=20
different format than MacOS (and other operating systems). Currently,=20
Linux can mount, read and write to Apple's earlier file format, called=20=

Hierarchal File System (HFS, sometimes called HFS Standard). Like all=20
older formatting, HFS has limits to disk size that were no problem many=20=

years ago but are easily exceeded by modern HD's and some removable=20
media. Most PPC Mac users will format disks as HFS+ (note the "+" sign;=20=

sometimes called HFS Extended) because it uses disk space much more=20
efficiently and allows very large drives. The Disk Burner application=20
which actually does the work when you select "Burn Disk" can write to=20
the Linux format (called ISO 9660) but can not write the older HFS=20
format. Because we need the install CD to work with both MacOS (so that=20=

your Apple hardware can start up with this disk in the CD drive) and=20
Linux, we need to use the older HFS format for the Mac file system on=20
the install CD.

Burning in OSX: Go to the Utilities folder, found inside the=20
Applications folder on your Mac OSX hard disk drive, where you should=20
see the "Disk Copy" application. Double-click the Disk Copy app and it=20=

will open to a window which states " Drag a disk image here to mount=20
it." IMPORTANT: Do not drag the iso image to the window. Instead, go to=20=

the Image menu and select: "Burn Image" (or, you can use the keyboard=20
shortcut "Command-B"). Now, you will see the familiar "Open" dialog box,=20=

where you can go and select the Linux image file you downloaded. Disk=20
Copy will then prompt you to insert a blank CDR and will proceed to burn=20=

the image file.

Background: Disk Copy will create an exact duplicate of the image file=20=

on the inserted CDR. Because this image is correctly formatted as=20
HFS/ISO 9660, so will the CD it creates.

Burning in OS9, or when OSX is not installed on your computer: The=20
version of Disk Copy which runs in Classic Mac Operating Systems does=20
not have disk burning abilities; you will need Roxio Toast Titanium=20
(full edition, not Lite). Refer to the Toast documentation for=20
installation and use. Notes to insure a proper burn:

Launch Toast first. Select the "Other" button, and click-and-hold the=20
mouse so the menu appears. Select "Disk Image". Drag the .iso file into=20=

the Toast window, and burn the disk (select "Record"). Insert a disk=20
when prompted.

Notes: In both cases (using Disk Copy in OSX or Toast Titanium) do not=20=

insert a CDR disk prior to launching the application. If you do, you may=20=

be prompted to format the CDR by the finder; doing so may format the=20
disk incorrectly. If you are asked to format the disk, simply eject it=20=

and launch one of the above applications instead.

Update: Toast Titanium 5.1 (OSX and Classic) supports creation of=20
bootable disks. If Toast 5.1 is installed, you will have the option of=20=

launching Toast when you insert a blank CDR disk, even if Toast is not=20=

running. This is a new feature and is not supported in earlier versions=20=

of Toast or any version of Toast Lite.

This document may be revised from time to time. For the latest revision,=20=

check: http://homepage.mac.com/wollyworld/FileSharing1.html

Version: 1.1 =A9 2002 G. Neault. gordguide[nospam]@iname.com All rights=20=

reserved. Remove the [nospam] from eMail address if you have=20
comments/suggestions.
On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 05:22 , Peter Zechmeister wrote:

> i have downloaded the rome-iso and burnt it on cd. now - as bloody=20
> newbie in
> linux and mac too - i am even not able to do the first steps of=20
> installing
> it.
> i have mac os 8 on the machine, but i want to get rid of it =
completely,
> because i only need linux on it.
> is it possible to start the install-process by booting from this cd=20
> (with
> the "c"-key)? i guess not, because there is no system-folder (or=20
> whatever)
> on it.
> beside that, i am not able to split the first and only partition from=20=

> the
> harddisk into two parts (i do not have the mac-os cd). is this=20
> necessary?
> is succeeded in installing bootx on mac os 8, but after that, trying =
to=20
> boot
> linux only leads to errors (missing second partition?).
>
> is there a way to use any kind of start-disk on mac to get access to =
the
> ydl-installation-cd, likely known from windows?
>
> sorry for annoying you with foolish things like that, but i am at my=20=

> wit`s
> end...
>
> peter

--Boundary_(ID_m55WPsE2HdMjtxi5FSSKPA)

My only question for you, Peter, is, How did you burn the CD? G.
Neault has written directions on how a burn must be done for it to be
bootable; I'll include the link to his iTools drive, as well as the
full text of that message below.

The reason I ask is, the procedure is specific. That is, you have to
use Toast on Macs running Systems 8 or 9; OS X can burn bootable discs
via Disk Copy, but there are *rules*.

Don't give up!

alex

http://homepage.mac.com/wollyworld/FileSharing1.html

</bigger></bigger>How To create a Linux Install Disk for PPC-Linux in
MacOS

Note: This document will refer to YellowDog Linux v2.1 as your
PPC-compatible Linux distribution, for installation on an Apple
Macintosh computer. The process is identical for any Linux distro
which works on a Mac. We will be using tools from MacOS, so you will
need (at a minimum) a bootable MacOS CD or MacOS installed on your
computer.

What you need: An Apple Macintosh Power-PC based computer. The
original MacOS Install CD or MacOS installed and running on the
computer. A working Internet connection. A CDR drive and one blank CDR
disk for each .iso (disk image) file (minimum: 1 disk).

Optional (required for OS9 and earlier): Roxio Toast Titanium (full
version, not Toast Lite).

Background: Linux-PPC compiled distributions rely on standard Apple
hardware conventions for a CD install. This means your Mac should be
able to boot from a MacOS CD. As a general rule, there should be no
problem here.

Very old Macintosh computers: Virtually all PowerPC Macs have a CD-ROM
drive installed by Apple as new. Older 68000 series Macs generally do
not. You should use a Linux distribution which will run on 68000
computers and follow the directions provided.

Mac-compatible clones: Some clones do not use CD-ROM drives
manufactured with special chips Apple uses to insure a bootable CD
will work. In this case, you may need the installation CD specific to
your machine, where you will find 3rd party drivers you may need.
There may be other installation and configuration issues with clones;
although you may find this document useful, you should seek other
information specific to your hardware before you go further.

How to test: If you know that your computer can run MacOS X, and it is
not a clone, you can safely assume the CD is bootable. For earlier OS
versions, place any MacOS install CD into your computer, and restart.
When the computer first shuts down, press and hold the 'C' key on the
keyboard. Do not release the key before you see the "Happy Mac" icon
on your desktop. At this point, the Mac has found a valid System
Folder, and you may release the key. Allow the computer to start up
normally, and (if necessary) confirm that the OS is running from the
CD. Normally the desktop background will be obviously different, a
limited number of extensions will be loaded, or the System will be
using an unusually low amount of memory. However, if you still aren't
sure, try a simple test. For example, you could try to eject the CD;
the Mac will refuse (and provide a warning dialog) if the computer is
running from the System on the removable disk rather than a Hard Disk
Drive-based System.

Get the ISO: Go to a Linux distro's download site, or another site (a
"mirror") which has these files available. YellowDog Linux is
available from: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com There may be a number of
files available. You need to download a file which is named similar
to: fuji-2.1-install.iso "fuji" is YellowDog Linux's code name for the
2.1 version of their Linux distro. "2.1" is the version number of this
same distribution. "install.iso" tells you that this is the
installation CD disk image. The file extension (.iso) is the most
important part of the filename; it tells you that you are downloading
a disk image suitable for CD burning. You may find folders or files
named similar to: SRPMS These are source files for the Linux
distribution. In general, you do not want to use these unless you are
having certain special problems or you are an experienced Linux user
(and probably don't need to be reading this).

Important: The Linux file you are downloading is not designed to be
useable in MacOS. You should not attempt to view the file, mount it on
your Mac desktop, or have a "helper application" do anything with the
file after the download is complete. Leave it alone, for now.

Background: This file has information designed to insure the
downloaded file is complete and uncorrupted, called a checksum.
Opening it with MacOS, mounting it, or allowing a "helper application"
to process it may alter the checksum. Later, this will cause the
installation to fail.

Depending on your internet connection speed, the download may take
hours or even days; it is approximately 650 megabytes and must be
downloaded as a single continuous file. Many programs (including MS
Internet Explorer v5) will allow you to resume a download if it is
interrupted; still this may not always work correctly. If you later
find that there are both installation problems and you had to resume
the download often because of connection problems, you should
seriously consider purchasing a CD from YellowDog Linux.

Burning the disk.

If you have MacOSX: You can use the utilities provided in MacOSX to
burn the image. To do so, you must have OSX installed and running on
your computer. You cannot access these programs from the OSX
installation CD.

Important: You cannot use the "Burn Disk" command in the menu bar of
OSX. Although it will work (as far as creating a disk goes) the
resulting disk will not have the correct format to be useable in Linux.

Background: Linux Hard Disks, CDs, and other removable disks use a
different format than MacOS (and other operating systems). Currently,
Linux can mount, read and write to Apple's earlier file format, called
Hierarchal File System (HFS, sometimes called HFS Standard). Like all
older formatting, HFS has limits to disk size that were no problem
many years ago but are easily exceeded by modern HD's and some
removable media. Most PPC Mac users will format disks as HFS+ (note
the "+" sign; sometimes called HFS Extended) because it uses disk
space much more efficiently and allows very large drives. The Disk
Burner application which actually does the work when you select "Burn
Disk" can write to the Linux format (called ISO 9660) but can not
write the older HFS format. Because we need the install CD to work
with both MacOS (so that your Apple hardware can start up with this
disk in the CD drive) and Linux, we need to use the older HFS format
for the Mac file system on the install CD.

Burning in OSX: Go to the Utilities folder, found inside the
Applications folder on your Mac OSX hard disk drive, where you should
see the "Disk Copy" application. Double-click the Disk Copy app and it
will open to a window which states " Drag a disk image here to mount
it." IMPORTANT: Do not drag the iso image to the window. Instead, go
to the Image menu and select: "Burn Image" (or, you can use the
keyboard shortcut "Command-B"). Now, you will see the familiar "Open"
dialog box, where you can go and select the Linux image file you
downloaded. Disk Copy will then prompt you to insert a blank CDR and
will proceed to burn the image file.

Background: Disk Copy will create an exact duplicate of the image file
on the inserted CDR. Because this image is correctly formatted as
HFS/ISO 9660, so will the CD it creates.

Burning in OS9, or when OSX is not installed on your computer: The
version of Disk Copy which runs in Classic Mac Operating Systems does
not have disk burning abilities; you will need Roxio Toast Titanium
(full edition, not Lite). Refer to the Toast documentation for
installation and use. Notes to insure a proper burn:

Launch Toast first. Select the "Other" button, and click-and-hold the
mouse so the menu appears. Select "Disk Image". Drag the .iso file
into the Toast window, and burn the disk (select "Record"). Insert a
disk when prompted.

Notes: In both cases (using Disk Copy in OSX or Toast Titanium) do not
insert a CDR disk prior to launching the application. If you do, you
may be prompted to format the CDR by the finder; doing so may format
the disk incorrectly. If you are asked to format the disk, simply
eject it and launch one of the above applications instead.

Update: Toast Titanium 5.1 (OSX and Classic) supports creation of
bootable disks. If Toast 5.1 is installed, you will have the option of
launching Toast when you insert a blank CDR disk, even if Toast is not
running. This is a new feature and is not supported in earlier
versions of Toast or any version of Toast Lite.

This document may be revised from time to time. For the latest
revision, check: http://homepage.mac.com/wollyworld/FileSharing1.html

Version: 1.1 =A9 2002 G. Neault. gordguide[nospam]@iname.com All rights
reserved. Remove the [nospam] from eMail address if you have
comments/suggestions. </fontfamily>

<excerpt>i have downloaded the rome-iso and burnt it on cd. now - as
bloody newbie in

linux and mac too - i am even not able to do the first steps of
installing

it.

i have mac os 8 on the machine, but i want to get rid of it completely,

because i only need linux on it.

is it possible to start the install-process by booting from this cd
(with

the "c"-key)? i guess not, because there is no system-folder (or
whatever)

on it.

beside that, i am not able to split the first and only partition from
the

harddisk into two parts (i do not have the mac-os cd). is this
necessary?

is succeeded in installing bootx on mac os 8, but after that, trying
to boot